Thursday, January 5, 2012

1st Semester Blues

This past semester wasn't really my first college semester... but it was the first time I'd been at a school more than 15 minutes from home. There are a lot of things I've learned in the past 4 months.

This time last year, I got my acceptance letter from Western Carolina University. At the time, I thought that receiving that letter was going to relieve some stress but I didn't know then that I had no real stresses. There were a lot of questions and concerns I had about going off to college. I was scared that I'd miss my family. I was scared that living in a dorm would be horrible and not at all like home but I was really scared of having to go through it on my own.

Honestly, I had 2nd thoughts about going to school until 1 week before. I had convinced myself that I still had the option of taking a year off. I wasn't sure I was going until I got a phone call asking how much money I was taking out in Student Loans.

I can't say that I'm not still scared. Anyone who doesn't have a fear about there future is in for it when life smacks them in the face. I'm still worried that I'm not sure about being a Forensic Anthropologist and getting the almighty Bachelor's degree.

Living at college is not ideal but I feel like this time last year, I was almost a different person. Since January 2011, I got my first part time job. I went to the beach... without my mother. I fell into my first FULL time job. (Thank you everyone for quitting while I was at the beach.) I drove to college and orientation all by myself. I got my first tattoo, and I wasn't scared. All of these things are small things but it makes me understand a lot. 

Even thought it isn't as bad as I had expected, it has been tough. I made 2 Ds 2 Cs and a B... and school has always been easy for me. My Genetics teacher felt so sorry for me, she GAVE me a D. (I'm not really sure how I got the 2nd D >:( I did well in that class til the last week.)

Dorm rooms still suck pretty bad. They are small and the halls are REALLY noisy but it is close to the dining hall. Still, I'm counting down the days until I sign a lease to an apartment.

To Anyone Thinking 2nd Thoughts About Going to College:
College isn't for everyone but once you're there, you learn a lot about taking care of yourself. I've learned more about being an adult than the academics, but it's what I needed. And if you can manage to stay out of trouble somehow (my job keeps me outta trouble), then you'll find someway to get through it. But if you want to go to college, but you don't have the money or you don't know EXACTLY what you want to do, Community College is great. You can get a degree or you can transfer to the university when you do figure out what you want to do.


I still have 2nd thoughts.... and I get really homesick but I am proud that I CAN take care of myself. Sometimes people don't put nearly as much faith into themselves as they should



2 comments:

  1. I thought longest about this post (particularly the end of it) than any of the others, mostly because i know you very well and it was something that stood out to me personally. You need to really understand what you have said and "always" live by it. You do have a great deal of faith in yourself, but i have seen on an occasion or two where you were having a bad day or whatever and didn't seem so confident. Coming from a person who always has faith in their own abilities even when it may have been nieve, don't let those days get you down stay strong and confident, and always nomatter what, have faith in yourself or even something or someone else to get you through the day. Just try and have complete faith in yourself everyday instead of most days, this year as another new years resolution. I am very proud of you and very happy to see all that you have accomplished never slow down and never let up. You always inspire me and keep moving forward.

    Oh and even if you want to give up somedays, i'll never let you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. I know who you are. :) I love you andrew. Thank you

    ReplyDelete